About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
My Datsun 510 is a work in progress. I was into Datsun's the day after I was born and this was the car literally rode in. So my interest in cars recently came about when I saw our family's old 510 rusting in a field for the past 25 years, until 2009 when I decided to take it on as my restoration project. Thought I'd start this blog about just different stuff that interests me (not just cars but hobbies too). This car is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. *If your car is featured here against your wishes or you see incorrect information, please contact me at classicdatsuns@gmail.com , and I will make any necessary changes. Have fun viewing. I am not affiliated with any sponsors, company, or body shop. I'm just a dude that likes Datsuns.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Assessment and Cleanup

I had a couple of hours to put in today.  Decided it's best to see where I stand on rust and repair-ability(don't know if that's even an actual word).  I started with the shop-vac and just getting everything out of the car.  From the pics you can see the front bumper, grill, a tire among other things just sitting in there.  Decided to pull them out and suck up all the flies, wasps, dead mud-dobbers, and bugs from the dash board.  I accidentally hit the rear view mirror so the plastic housing shattered into a million pieces.  The mirror part stayed in tact though.





I stripped all the vinyl roof cover off the car.  I think over time, it did more harm than good.  Also removed the chrome pillar vents, labeled and taped the screws to go with them. I always felt it's a good idea to have stuff labeled.  I'm not expert enough to simply memorize where things go and throw everything into a box. 


I don't know why but I just wanted to Armor-all the back seat to see how it looked.  Dreaming while cleaning.  Doesn't look too bad though.


That's probably the first time I've seen the dash with no bugs!!  Even as a kid, I always remember bugs being there.


Something needs to be done about that rust and those holes.  A few of those tail light plastic surrounds need to be replaced also.  Some of the plastic is broken and shattered.



After tidying the inside a little bit, I moved on to the engine bay with the shop-vac.
Decided there is no need or a 25 year old battery so I pulled it and decided to paint the battery clamp red just so I know which one is which.  I'll probably replace the clamp and those lines anyway.  

Took this out of the passenger seat.  Also decided to clean the battery tray while I'm at it.

That brake cylinder looks like it's made of stone.  I wonder how hard it will be to fix.  Might end up replacing the whole thing.  Those nuts and bolts don't look to good.

Some loose pieces just floating around engine bay.  Decided to shop-vac all that dirt.  Basically all hoses are dried crusty.  Some even with holes and crumbles when i touched it. I'll see if I can still save the motor though being that it's all I have for now.  I'll have put the car on jacks to remove the fuel tank and see how that looks like.  That's for a later date. 

I still can't find my Haynes Manual.  I have no idea where I put it.  I did buy one though.  I don't want to drop the fuel cell without having it around.

No comments: