About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
My Datsun 510 is a work in progress. I was into Datsun's the day after I was born and this was the car literally rode in. So my interest in cars recently came about when I saw our family's old 510 rusting in a field for the past 25 years, until 2009 when I decided to take it on as my restoration project. Thought I'd start this blog about just different stuff that interests me (not just cars but hobbies too). This car is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. *If your car is featured here against your wishes or you see incorrect information, please contact me at classicdatsuns@gmail.com , and I will make any necessary changes. Have fun viewing. I am not affiliated with any sponsors, company, or body shop. I'm just a dude that likes Datsuns.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Carpet Removal

Had a little bit of time over the last few days to work on getting the interior cleaned out.  A buddy of mine came over and recommended we might as well remove the tail lights. "Sure. why not?"  Kinda reminds me of a pumpkin with the light shining through.  Still being really careful to save every screw and nut, while labeling everything.


A few days later, I finally found time to start removing the carpet.



I've never seen carpet pin tabs like these before.  I saved a few for reference so I could possibly find them again if I needed to.



Decided to also save the rubber mat from the driver's side.  I'm in hopes to either use the exact same one or either find a NOS replica.  


Such a dusty mess.  Dirty enough to turn my boogers black.  


I found what I believe is one of my siblings baby bottles under the seat.  That nipple looks fit for a mummy.  Gross.

Now back seat carpet is coming out too.


Cleaned it up and vacuumed it with my shop vac.  Floor boards actually look really good.  You can see where I took a chisel to get the sound deadening material off.  The color doesn't look good but that color simply seems to be a small film of rust that I can easily wipe away.  I'm not done with the entire removal of the sound deadening material so I really won't know what the condition is for the rest of the floor panels.  I'll be sure to post updates when I find out.

 A little bit of the sound deadening material scraped up for the drivers side.  Still a lot more to remove.


No comments: