About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
My Datsun 510 is a work in progress. I was into Datsun's the day after I was born and this was the car literally rode in. So my interest in cars recently came about when I saw our family's old 510 rusting in a field for the past 25 years, until 2009 when I decided to take it on as my restoration project. Thought I'd start this blog about just different stuff that interests me (not just cars but hobbies too). This car is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. *If your car is featured here against your wishes or you see incorrect information, please contact me at classicdatsuns@gmail.com , and I will make any necessary changes. Have fun viewing. I am not affiliated with any sponsors, company, or body shop. I'm just a dude that likes Datsuns.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Engine Deconstruction Pt 6 (labeling & more cleanup)

Went back into the garage tonight and removed the passenger side horn.  Once again, I used my drill to get those screws out to remove the horn.  I didn't have to worry about the nuts falling out because they were attached to the frame.













Before...

.....aaaannnndd  After.
Label, label, label.  Much of the electrical is behind the dash so I started with the steering column.  

Friday, September 23, 2011

Engine Deconstruction Pt 5 (headlights - wiper assembly)

I had a few hours to kill in the morning before heading off to work so I was simply looking at what needed to be done.  I went to work on removing the head lamps and housings.  It was held together with 4 bolts on each one.  The nuts on the inside of the engine bay were part of the frame and were stationary.


I still needed to get the windshield wiper motor out.  Thought a good start was to remove the wiper arms.

Next, I had to remove the external vent cover underneath the wipers.  Unfortunately things don't always go as planned and I ended up stripping all but one of the 5 or 6 screws that hold it down.  Time to use my handy 14.4 volt Craftsman drill.  This was my first time drilling out stripped screws so I'm such a newbie at it.  All went well though and there was nothing to it.



After removing the vent cover, I found a field mice nest. 
After finding that nest, I got a little sidetracked and took out my shop-vac and decided to clean up what I could.  I took the shop vac to the engine bay and cleaned up a lot of debris.  Everything looks much cleaner and I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.  I can pretty much pull the engine now if I wanted(except I need a hoist), but I'm still trying to get other stuff out of there before that happens.  

*On another note - I was also able to remove the driver's side horn.  Those screws are seriously no joke.  I think they were put in place with a phillips head air wrench.  Ended up using my drill again and drilled those bolts out.  I think I may just get replacement horns.  Now I need to remove the passenger side horn next. 

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Engine Deconstruction Pt 4 (engine bay cleanup)

Got into the garage last night and decided to try to clean up the engine bay a little bit.  Here's what it looked like as I left it last time.
So this is where I left off when I stopped a few nights ago.  I was basically labeling all the electrical wires.  Wish I had white masking tape instead of blue but blue worked, just the same.  

Here's a 2 min break I took to set up a youtube playlist on my computer for music.  Good motivation when you're working solo.



Just another one of those moments where I got that feeling where I asked myself  "What did I get myself into?" moments.

Front side signals out.



This thing was a pain to take off and it still is.  It's the wiper motor.  It's held together with 3 screws connected to the top of the firewall.  The bottom screw was the one giving me the most trouble.

Well I ended up stripping it with my phillips screwdriver.  It was out far enough that I took a pair of bolt cutters and was able to cut it off. Now I need to get the motor out and drill the rest of the screw.  

I'll try to clean up more today.  More pictures to come. 

Monday, September 19, 2011

Engine Deconstruction Pt 3 (removal of alt, a/c unit, relay pulley, starter) Monday - Sept. 19, 2011

Today is Monday Sept. 19th.  Respect for the Elderly Day (in Japan).

These pictures are actually from a few days ago but I was able to make a little bit of progress before going to bed.
The A/C unit was pretty heavy.  It took me a while but I finally found the bolt needed to remove it buried in grease on the other side.  I'm happy it's out.

This is the debris shield.  Keeps stuff from jumping into you engine (well almost).

Here's that relay pulley that was next to the front of the A/C unit.  Glad that's out of the way.






Removing the starter.  


There it is.


It's looking a little cleaner and I'm almost ready to pull the engine.