About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
My Datsun 510 is a work in progress. I was into Datsun's the day after I was born and this was the car literally rode in. So my interest in cars recently came about when I saw our family's old 510 rusting in a field for the past 25 years, until 2009 when I decided to take it on as my restoration project. Thought I'd start this blog about just different stuff that interests me (not just cars but hobbies too). This car is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. *If your car is featured here against your wishes or you see incorrect information, please contact me at classicdatsuns@gmail.com , and I will make any necessary changes. Have fun viewing. I am not affiliated with any sponsors, company, or body shop. I'm just a dude that likes Datsuns.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Engine Deconstruction Pt 5 (headlights - wiper assembly)

I had a few hours to kill in the morning before heading off to work so I was simply looking at what needed to be done.  I went to work on removing the head lamps and housings.  It was held together with 4 bolts on each one.  The nuts on the inside of the engine bay were part of the frame and were stationary.


I still needed to get the windshield wiper motor out.  Thought a good start was to remove the wiper arms.

Next, I had to remove the external vent cover underneath the wipers.  Unfortunately things don't always go as planned and I ended up stripping all but one of the 5 or 6 screws that hold it down.  Time to use my handy 14.4 volt Craftsman drill.  This was my first time drilling out stripped screws so I'm such a newbie at it.  All went well though and there was nothing to it.



After removing the vent cover, I found a field mice nest. 
After finding that nest, I got a little sidetracked and took out my shop-vac and decided to clean up what I could.  I took the shop vac to the engine bay and cleaned up a lot of debris.  Everything looks much cleaner and I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along.  I can pretty much pull the engine now if I wanted(except I need a hoist), but I'm still trying to get other stuff out of there before that happens.  

*On another note - I was also able to remove the driver's side horn.  Those screws are seriously no joke.  I think they were put in place with a phillips head air wrench.  Ended up using my drill again and drilled those bolts out.  I think I may just get replacement horns.  Now I need to remove the passenger side horn next. 

No comments: