About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
My Datsun 510 is a work in progress. I was into Datsun's the day after I was born and this was the car literally rode in. So my interest in cars recently came about when I saw our family's old 510 rusting in a field for the past 25 years, until 2009 when I decided to take it on as my restoration project. Thought I'd start this blog about just different stuff that interests me (not just cars but hobbies too). This car is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. *If your car is featured here against your wishes or you see incorrect information, please contact me at classicdatsuns@gmail.com , and I will make any necessary changes. Have fun viewing. I am not affiliated with any sponsors, company, or body shop. I'm just a dude that likes Datsuns.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Door Sills And Headliner Removal

I was back at it again today.  Didn't feel like working on the engine or transmission.  I figured I would take the headliner out today.  I started with the removal of the door sills (weather stripping).  They're all still in really good shape and I'm pretty sure I can use them again.  After four doors were done, I unhooked the seat belts for both the driver's and passenger side at the top and started tearing away.  Why am I not surprised?

The low sides of the headliner were lined with rat poop droppings.  I have no idea how they climbed up there.  Maybe they jumped?  Maybe they used the lawnmower handle that was in the front seat that was high enough?? I just don't know.  Either way, I was determined to remove it.





At this point I was inside the car, tearing away at what I could but, I was getting showered with rat droppings.






So there it is, minus the headliner.  My shop-vac was working overtime and I had to dump it out afterward and clean the brand new filter I just purchased for it.  There is a lot of work that needs to be done on the interior like the dashboard removal and after I pull the motor, I'll start with removing the windows and doors.  

No comments: