About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
My Datsun 510 is a work in progress. I was into Datsun's the day after I was born and this was the car literally rode in. So my interest in cars recently came about when I saw our family's old 510 rusting in a field for the past 25 years, until 2009 when I decided to take it on as my restoration project. Thought I'd start this blog about just different stuff that interests me (not just cars but hobbies too). This car is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. *If your car is featured here against your wishes or you see incorrect information, please contact me at classicdatsuns@gmail.com , and I will make any necessary changes. Have fun viewing. I am not affiliated with any sponsors, company, or body shop. I'm just a dude that likes Datsuns.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Engine Deconstruction Pt 7 (engine out!!!)

I'm not trying to cut corners on this build but the planned day came where I had time set aside to work on my car and I wasn't going to let it go to waste.  I had an engine hoist (cherry picker) lined up but the deal fell through.  Fortunately my buddy Kenny (a 240Z owner) was awesome enough to still make the drive down to my place and we were agreed to try to remove it by hand.  He mentioned that he had helped removed his buddy's VG motor by hand (300zx motor) and that it was a 6 cylinder (bigger than mine) so he was under the impression it would go smoother than that.
           He arrived at about 5:30pm or so and I had just brought home some pizza so we just fueled up on pizza and water and about 45 minutes later we headed into the garage.  We started by taking the valve cover off (which I need to put back on).  And I had planned to remove the head before trying to lift it.  My friend simply wanted to lift the entire motor so we got started disconnecting the bolts that connect the block to the transmission.



The engine finally was shaken free from the transmission and resting on the cross member bar below.  That didn't sit well with me and I got some wooden block to protect the oil pan.

Right about now we were either balancing the engine or scratching our heads (and our butts) and trying to come up with better ways to get some height on the engine so placing a jackstand was one idea to keep the engine raised but that proved to be in-effective.
           
After much wiggling, the motor finally broke free from the transmission and I positioned myself inside the engine bay to lift the engine onto the front support beam.


Kenny is a monster.  I really appreciate how he came over when he could have been doing a million other things.  Thanks bro.



This deserves a thumbs up.   The engine was OUT and now resting on rubber tires in front of the car.

I hope this gets some likes on facebook.  hahaha

Now here was another tricky part of hooking it up to the engine stand.

We just couldn't get any height with our previous ideas so this was another of my genius inventions.  Things that didn't work was setting it on a foot stool, not high enough.  2 jack stands extended as high as they both can go with a wooden 2x2?? ... still not high enough.  How about a microwave inside a cardboard box on top of the foot stool???... too high.  So I finally came across wooden benches that I have in my backyard and we ended up putting the rubber tires to keep from smashing the oil pan.  


It's a little bit bouncy but we were able to place two of the top hex bolts into the holes then just dragged it out of the way.  Now I'm going to try to figure out how to bolt the two bottom two because I'm not sure about the position of the engine on the stand.   That's why its just sitting there on the bench till I figure something out.

So there is what a 510 engine bay looks like without an engine.  More engine bay cleanup on the way.

Shop-vac'd my area and cleaned the garage after Kenny left and time for shower and photo upload.  That's a rap for the night.  So from about 5:50pm till about 9:30pm was how long it took to remove.  All in a day's work.

1 comment:

Black Smart Business said...

Hi Thanks A lot about Your Articles ... very Nice
Samo Health Blog
Acné Traitement