About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
My Datsun 510 is a work in progress. I was into Datsun's the day after I was born and this was the car literally rode in. So my interest in cars recently came about when I saw our family's old 510 rusting in a field for the past 25 years, until 2009 when I decided to take it on as my restoration project. Thought I'd start this blog about just different stuff that interests me (not just cars but hobbies too). This car is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. *If your car is featured here against your wishes or you see incorrect information, please contact me at classicdatsuns@gmail.com , and I will make any necessary changes. Have fun viewing. I am not affiliated with any sponsors, company, or body shop. I'm just a dude that likes Datsuns.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Junkyardigan Report 3-29-12

Well here are some pics of my trip to the yard.  Here's your classic Datsun yard report, among other cars, that I snapped photos of.   Keep in mind that I was only able to visit one big Ecology Pick-N-Pull.  I didn't have time to scavenge all the other smaller yards down the road.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Car On Dolly!!!

I feel like I've accomplished so much today.  Ever since having this dolly loaned to me by a friend, I've wanted to just slide it under there and start some body work (or try to start body work).  My plan of action still includes: removing the steering linkage as well as all the brake lines, clutch cylinder, brake cylinder, wiring, dash, pedals, doors, quarter panels, and start taking suspension parts and crossmembers for powder coating.

The dolly was a major task and not easy when you're alone.  I didn't want to risk scratching the under body so I bought pipe foam and black duct tape and started to wrap the dolly.  My friend who let me borrow the dolly recently completed a restoration on his early 60's MG roadster.  The dolly was welded and made to fit the MG roadster and I was afraid that it wouldn't fit.  I feel much better having wrapped it in foam though and I'm pretty happy with the work I did.

I had a hard time adjusting the dolly and I was doing some pretty dangerous stuff, but all is well.  I'm ok and a little exhausted.  But here it is, completely on the dolly.

Interior Wiring and More Dash Removal

Here are some photos of some details that I was taking care of inside the car.  Still a lot of work to do but and the more I tear into this project, the more I see what has to be replaced or refurbished.  It's all part of restoration though.  I'm running into more and more stripped bolt.  The screws, I have a hard time with so far, are the ones in the fire wall.  Removing the quarter panels has been a bit of a puzzle for me as well.  I seem to have broke nearly every screw head connecting the top part of the quarter panel to the body.  I'm not really worrying about taking it off now because it would simply sit around.  I'll leave it on and worry about it later.  Here are some pictures of more progress.