About Me

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
My Datsun 510 is a work in progress. I was into Datsun's the day after I was born and this was the car literally rode in. So my interest in cars recently came about when I saw our family's old 510 rusting in a field for the past 25 years, until 2009 when I decided to take it on as my restoration project. Thought I'd start this blog about just different stuff that interests me (not just cars but hobbies too). This car is not for sale nor will it ever be for sale. *If your car is featured here against your wishes or you see incorrect information, please contact me at classicdatsuns@gmail.com , and I will make any necessary changes. Have fun viewing. I am not affiliated with any sponsors, company, or body shop. I'm just a dude that likes Datsuns.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Steering Column Out

I'm almost down to bare metal!!!   I was able to take out the steering column, the clutch cylinder, master brake cylinder.  I'm a bit frustrated with stripped screws.  My drill has been working pretty hard trying to get screws out.  I'll be picking up a few parts but this project is not going as fast as I would like.
After stripping one rust fused screw end on a brake line I decided to use bolt cutters to cut the brake lines and get both cylinders(brake & clutch) out.  The bolt cutter was money well spent.  I not only used it on brake lines but I also used it on some stubborn bolts and screws.  I guess it will just be better to replace the lines rather to use the existing lines.

^This firewall is going to be tricky because what you are actually looking at is a cover plate for a drain where those two thin rusty vertical lines are.


Here's the steering column and pedal assembly support.

The steering wheel. Unbolted from firewall but not yet pulled out.

It's looking a little bit cleaner now.


There's so many miscellaneous nuts and bolt and broken glass inside there that needs to be picked up and sorted through





Things that I need to have done are taking apart the rear cross-member frame to get powder coated and possibly find someone to zinc plate parts for the rear drums, send my brakes off to get re-furbished and zinc plated, need some front quarter panels, then u-haul the body to get bead blasted and epoxy primered.  I'm still collecting parts for the motor and I found a pretty good shop to work on the motor for about $1000.  The carb is going to cost about $200 to tune and replace seals so I'm slowly getting an idea of how deep this project is going to cost.